Wednesday 17 December 2008

Persona what?


That's right, Persona 4 is out.



You might be wondering what exactly I am talking about. But if you aren't, I congratulate you, for you Sir, are a gentleman and a gamer. I have played many RPG's in my lifespan and I will cram many more down before I make that fatal judgment error that will see me go out in style, but none are quite like the Persona series. 

Persona 3 was one of the best RPG games out of the East in the last couple years. It is difficult to describe without making it sound a little bit cheesy and cheap. It is one of those gems, in the same vein as Yakuza, that shouldn't really work that well but are able to simply pull it off through sheer style and narrative. You played as a high schooler that had to navigate the intricacies of social relationships. Sounds boring, right? 

That is before I told you that you had to navigate your school during the dark time that occurred at the stroke of midnight and had you slaying monsters by evoking your persona. Persona that could only be evoked by planting a soul gun to your head and pulling the trigger. A process that had you watch fascinated as pieces of your soul sprayed forth from the exit wound and were followed by a short silence, the thought, I can't believe they just did that, and the exclamation sweeeeeet!  

Well the sequel has arrived. The guns are reportedly gone but I'm not too sad, although I will miss them, as the narrative promises to be just a strong. A more in-depth analysis on how good this game is when I get my hands on it.

Also, just needed to say this, each character in the game had a different way of gripping their gun before committing soul suicide. Its attention to little things like this that truly make a game shine. 

1 comment:

JoJo said...

that game was shit hot.