Monday 19 January 2009

Thoughts on Information

It has been a while. The mixture of vacation and an initial lack of Internet access have kept me from posting for far too long. Now that I have returned to operating my normal routine I am able to put my thoughts to digital paper once again.

It has been a busy time on the international scene as -

Wow, it's snowing for real. I just looked out the window and there are these giant snowflakes cascading down upon the frigid pavement. Isn't it supposed to be getting warmer? I mean we've passed Christmas so surely the pendulum has reached its peak and should be swinging in the opposite direction. Damn breaking off in the middle of that sentence to talk about snow makes me look bad in so many ways.

- Israel took military action against Gaza stating their intention of ending further rocket attacks against their territories. Further information regarding some of the facts surrounding those attacks may be viewed at http://sundrycharms.blogspot.com/. While all the information provided is accurate it may be slightly coloured by the personal views of the author (no offense Jo as I know that this is intended) and further reading is recommended.

That being said, a very important aspect of Jo's blog is that it captures stories that are not front page. A recent article regarding gay rights, or lack of, in Africa was mentioned. It is important that people be aware of a breadth of issues and don't limit their focus to any single one. The media should not be used as a venue for the most shocking or immediate news but rather should provide the reader with the diverse ongoings of the world.

The power the media has to influence our opinions is substantial, it is for this reason that I dislike biased articles as it may mislead the reader providing them with facts in a discriminatory manner. On a primary level international journalism should inform the reader of the facts of the situation. On a secondary level it may provide informed reasoning behind the actions taken sourcing from the areas of political theory, history and deduction. However it is my belief that unless the publication is personal it should be generally devoid of emotion regarding its style and tone. Now how to do this while providing an interesting piece of work. Hmmm. Dunno if it is always possible.

I just wanted to state that I am not criticizing current journalistic standards as some publications follow this unbiased approach quite well. However I do believe coverage has become an issue at times, as novel events seem to takeover the headlines and appropriate the entirety of the news time.



1 comment:

JoJo said...

cheers for the bump, dude. I mostly agree with your post, as well.